I trust his little body to know when he is full so when he’s done, he’s done! But funnily enough, I am quite sure he could eat an entire box of raisins if I left the cupboard door open long enough for the little hand to creep in and swipe the box!
Whilst I love all of the ideas out there of sneaking nutrients into meals in the form of a gorgeous veggie muffin or green bread, I’ll be truly honest, I haven’t got time to do that every meal time. I barely have time to sit and eat my own dinner before havoc lets loose. So, to solve my problem, I created a little snack to stop my stress and anxiety reaching unmeasurable levels which is jam packed full of secret nutrients.
I make what I call the:
‘ultimate, non-green, as many nutrients as a green-snack, snack’.
*Insert excited woooooo here!
It is full of everything his (and my) body needs because I choose the ingredients accordingly. I’ve been harping on about these little biscuits for months so here is the recipe you need.
They literally take 3 minutes to throw together and 15 minutes in the oven at 170 degrees fan.
½ mashed banana
½ cup oats
½ cup almond milk (or any alternative)
Mash the banana in a bowl first then add your oats (wait on the milk until you’ve added all you other goodies!)
Then add in as many of the extras below that you like. If you look at the notes and match with what your little one needs a boost of right now that’ll help you decide which ones to throw in:
- 1 tsp Maca Powder - Increases energy, aids digestion, improves skin health, iron, vitamin C and vitamin B6
- 2 tbsp Goji Berries – More antioxidants than blueberries! Boosts immunity, awesome source of vitamin A, vitamin C, fiber and iron
- 1 tbsp Hemp Seeds - Supports brain health, aids digestion, contains magnesium, omega-3s, iron, potassium and more!
- Coconut – freshly shredded if you can get it or unsweetened desiccated - improves mental function, boosts immunity
- 1 – 2 tsp Coconut Oil – as above and is a healthy fat
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds - increases energy, supports blood sugar regulation
- 1 tbsp Flax Seeds – fiber, antioxidants, omega-3s
- 1 heaped tbsp Cacao – good for digestion, antioxidants, contains magnesium, zinc, iron, calcium
- 1 tbsp Pumpkin Seeds - reduces inflammation, improves focus, boosts immunity, supports weight loss
- 2 tbsp of Cranberries – vitamin A and vitamin C, natural sweetner
- 2 tbsp of Raisins – this is my secret little sweetner and crowd pleaser, when my toddler sees the raisins he just swallows them whole and doesn’t bat an eyelid!
- 1 tsp Cinnamon – good for blood sugar regulation
- 1 tbsp Nut Butter (Almond or Peanut) – Almonds have fibre, help with teeth and bones strength; Peanuts reduces inflammation and contain protein
And if truth really be told, I don’t always measure them out, I like to wing things in my kitchen. Sometimes there isn’t even time to get out loads of tablespoons, scatter them all dirty across the counter and then wash them up. Poor out the packet and we’re winning!
Enjoy this recipe and feel free to tag me in your pictures once you’ve made them!
Sending love and healthy wishes,
P.S. You can follow @gotvitality on Instagram or facebook for regular recipe inspirations and hacks!